Atopic dermatitis, or eczema as it’s more commonly known, is a chronic, frustrating skin condition. Eczema affects more than 35 million Americans, making skin red and itchy. The itching can be so uncomfortable it can get in the way of everyday life. Living with eczema can be a major inconvenience, and if that’s not bad enough, there are some big misconceptions surrounding the skin condition.
- Eczema is contagious. This is a big one and unfortunately far too many people believe this is true. You can’t ‘catch’ eczema from someone who has the disease and you can’t give it to someone by touching them if you have it.
- Psoriasis and eczema are the same. Because the conditions can look similar on the skin, many people fail to recognize that there’s a difference between the two. Psoriasis is related to the creation of too many skin cells too quickly, while eczema is thought to be caused by a combination of genetics, environment, and abnormal immune function.
- Stress causes eczema. While many eczema sufferers have helped to manage their symptoms by reducing stress in their lives, stress does not directly cause eczema.
- Eczema is caused from poor hygiene. Poor hygiene habits are not a directly related to eczema. You’re much more likely to develop the skin condition if your family has a history of eczema or allergic conditions.
- There is a currently a cure for eczema. While no cure currently exists, the condition can be managed by getting to know your triggers and treating symptoms properly. Clinical research studies for potential new treatments may also be an option.
If you or someone you love is currently struggling with eczema symptoms, there are options. ForCare’s expert dermatologists are available to help diagnose and treat eczema symptoms. To schedule an appointment, call 813-960-2400 today.
Clinical research studies evaluating potential new eczema treatments are also currently underway. To learn more about eczema research studies and find out how to get involved, CLICK HERE.